Compare plans today.


Does Medicare Cover Lift Chairs?

Christian Worstell

by Christian Worstell | Published October 11, 2023 | Reviewed by John Krahnert

Medicare Part B does cover lift chairs and other forms of durable medical equipment (DME) when they are deemed medically necessary by your doctor.

A Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan can help cover lift chair costs such as Medicare deductibles, copays, coinsurance and more.

Man sits in chair wearing headphones and using a digital tabletMedigap plans can help cover lift chair costs such as Medicare deductibles and coinsurance.

When Does Medicare Pay For Lift Chairs?

A lift chair may look like a typical living room chair, but it has a mechanical component that helps you stand up and sit down by raising or lowering the seat. It's designed to assist those who are unable to stand or sit easily on their own.

Medicare may help pay for your lift chair if your doctor determines it is medically necessary and if you meet certain criteria.

It's important to note that there are two main parts of a lift chair: the chair itself, and the mechanical component that raises and lowers the seat.

Medicare only helps pay for the mechanical component, not the chair itself.

Compare Medigap plans in your area.

Find a plan

Or call now to speak with a licensed insurance agent:


Who Is Eligible for a Lift Chair From Medicare?

In order to be eligible for a seat lift covered by Medicare, you must meet the the following criteria:

  • You have a severe neuromuscular disease or severe arthritis in your knee or hip only.

  • You are totally unable to stand up from a regular armchair or any other chair at home without assistance.

  • You can walk with the assistance of a walker, cane or other means. You won't be covered if you use a wheelchair, power wheelchair or scooter.

  • The lift is included in your doctor's treatment plan and is prescribed to to improve your condition or stop it from worsening.

  • Your physician is either the attending or consulting physician for the condition's treatment.

Medicare pays for durable medical equipment (DME) in different ways, depending on the type of equipment.

Generally, if you meet all of the criteria listed above, Medicare will cover 80% of the Medicare-approved amount, and you’ll be responsible for the remaining 20% (after you pay your yearly Part B deductible).

Medicare Supplement Plans Can Help Cover Your Lift Chair

If you use a lift chair that is covered by Medicare, a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) plan can help cover some of the Medicare deductibles and coinsurance you may face as part of getting the chair.

For example, each of the 10 standardized Medigap plans that are available in most states provide at least partial coverage for the Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayments you might face when you receive covered durable medical equipment like lift chairs.

Learn more about Medicare coverage of common procedures

A licensed agent can help you decide on a Medicare option that works for you. Call today to speak with a licensed agent and compare the Medigap plans that are available where you live.


Find Medigap plans that help cover lift chairs.

Compare Plans
Or call 1-800-995-4219 to speak with a licensed insurance agent.


Christian Worstell is a health care and policy writer for He has written hundreds of articles helping people better understand their Medicare coverage options.

Resource Center

Medicare Preventive Benefits

As a Medicare beneficiary, you may be eligible for a range of preventive health services. Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) provides coverage for the following. Read more
Email newsletter

Get a Free Medicare Guide!

Enter your email address and get a free guide to Medicare and Medicare Supplement Insurance, as well as important Medicare news and tips. We promise to never send you spam – just helpful content!

By clicking "Get your guide" you are agreeing to receive emails from

We've been helping people find their perfect Medicare plan for over 11 years.

Ready to find your plan?

Or chat about my options with an agent