Does Medicare Cover Wheelchairs?
Medicare does cover wheelchairs and scooters for qualifying Medicare recipients.
If your doctor prescribes a wheelchair or other durable medical equipment (DME) that Medicare covers, you may face some out-of-pocket Medicare costs.
A Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan can help cover the out-of-pocket costs for your wheelchair, such as Medicare deductibles and copays.
How Do I Get a Wheelchair Covered by Medicare?
Whether you need a wheelchair due to illness, injury or disability, Medicare Part B can help cover some of the costs.
In order to qualify for wheelchair coverage under Medicare you must:
Get a written prescription from your doctor stating that a wheelchair is medically necessary
Visit your health care provider within six months before prior to getting the prescription
How Much Do Wheelchairs Cost With Medicare?
Medicare Part B typically covers 80% of the Medicare-approved amount of a wheelchair, and you pay the remaining 20%.
However, before Medicare covers their share of the the cost of the wheelchair, you must pay your Part B deductible. In 2024, the Part B deductible is $240 per year.
These costs are in addition to your Part B monthly premium.
Medicare Supplement plans help cover some of the out-of-pocket costs left by Medicare Part A and Part B. You can choose from 10 standardized Medigap plans to get the level of coverage you need.
Learn more about common procedures that Medicare covers.
Find a Medigap Plan That Helps Cover Your Wheelchair Costs
A licensed agent can help you decide on a Medicare option that works for you. Call today to speak with a licensed agent and find Medigap plans available where you live that can help cover your Medicare out-of-pocket wheelchair costs.
Find Medicare plans in your area.Compare Plans
Christian Worstell is a health care and policy writer for MedicareSupplement.com. He has written hundreds of articles helping people better understand their Medicare coverage options.