Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans
Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) helps cover some of Original Medicare's out-of-pocket costs, including at least partial coverage for:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance costs, which can add up quickly for inpatient care in hospitals, skilled nursing facilities or mental health care facilities.
- Medicare Part B coinsurance, which is typically 20 percent of all Medicare-approved costs of medical services after the Part B deductible has been met.
- The costs for the first three pints of blood used in a transfusion.
- Medicare Part A coinsurance or copayment for hospice care.
Medigap Plans Comparison
Use the chart below to compare the basic benefits of all 10 standardized Medigap plans.
Scroll to the right to continue reading the chart
Medicare Supplement Benefits
Part A coinsurance and hospital coverage
Part B coinsurance or copayment
Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
First 3 pints of blood
Skilled nursing facility coinsurance
Part A deductible
Part B deductible
Part B excess charges
Foreign travel emergency
|Medicare Supplement Benefits||A||B||C*||D||F1*||G1||K2||L3||M||N4|
|Part A coinsurance and hospital coverage|
|Part B coinsurance or copayment||50%||75%|
|Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment||50%||75%|
|First 3 pints of blood||50%||75%|
|Skilled nursing facility coinsurance||50%||75%|
|Part A deductible||50%||75%||50%|
|Part B deductible|
|Part B excess charges|
|Foreign travel emergency||80%||80%||80%||80%||80%||80%|
* Plan F and Plan C are not available to Medicare beneficiaries who became eligible for Medicare on or after January 1, 2020. If you became eligible for Medicare before 2020, you may still be able to enroll in Plan F or Plan C as long as they are available in your area.+ Read more
Additional Medicare Supplement Insurance Information
As you compare Medigap plans and consider purchasing Medicare Supplement Insurance, keep the following information in mind:
- Your spouse will need a separate Medigap plan if he or she also wants Medicare Supplement Insurance benefits.
- The basic benefits of Medigap plans are standardized. For example, one insurance company selling Medigap Plan F must offer the same basic benefits as a different company selling Medigap Plan F in another state.
- If you develop a health issue while enrolled in a Medigap policy, your policy can still be renewed. As long as you continue to pay your Medicare Supplement Insurance plan premiums on time, your policy is guaranteed renewable.
- If you’re enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan, you cannot also have a Medigap plan at the same time.
- The most comprehensive Medigap plan is Plan F. It’s the only plan that offers coverage for all nine benefit areas.