Does Medicare Cover Hospital Beds?
Medicare will pay for a hospital bed purchase or rental if it's considered medically necessary and prescribed by a doctor, and provided by a medical equipment provider approved by Medicare.
Medicare classifies hospital beds as durable medical equipment (DME), which is covered by Medicare Part B. However, there are some requirements you must meet for Medicare hospital bed coverage.
Additionally, even if Medicare does cover your hospital bed, there are some out-of-pocket costs you'll likely face. Learn more about your coverage.
Does Medicare Pay for a Hospital Bed?
Medicare does cover a hospital bed rental or purchase for home use if:
- You are enrolled in Medicare Part B
- The bed is considered medically necessary and prescribed by a doctor
- The bed is supplied by a medical equipment provider who is approved by Medicare
According to Medicare.gov, "Doctors and suppliers have to meet strict standards to enroll and stay enrolled in Medicare. If your doctors or suppliers aren't enrolled, Medicare won't pay the claims submitted by them."1
Medicare Part B Costs for Hospital Beds
If your hospital bed rental or purchase is approved for Medicare coverage, you pay 20 percent of the Medicare-approved amount of the hospital bed, and Medicare pays the other 80 percent.
Before Medicare will pay its share, however, you must first meet your Part B deductible. In 2022, the standard Medicare Part B deductible is $233 per year.
Medicare covers hospital bed rentals and purchases. After 13 months of renting your hospital bed, you will officially own it under current Medicare rules. The specific cost of your hospital bed may depend on factors such as:
- How much your doctor charges
- Your location
- Other insurance you may have
Your doctor can tell you more about how much you'll likely pay for your hospital bed under Medicare.
Medicare Competitive Bidding Program
Under Medicare's Competitive Bidding Program, DME suppliers submit bids to provide equipment to Medicare recipients living in or visiting competitive bidding areas. If you have Original Medicare and live in or are visiting a state in a competitive bidding area, you must get your DME from a contract supplier.
Refer to Medicare.gov to find out if you live in a competitive bidding area.
Does Medicare Pay for Hospital Stays?
Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospital stays, as well as skilled nursing care, hospice care and limited home health services.
As an inpatient at a hospital, your Medicare Part A coverage includes the following:
Inpatient treatment drugs
Care as part of a qualifying clinical research study
Other hospital services and supplies
Not included are things like private-duty nursing, most private rooms, personal care items and television and phone services.
How Much Do Hospital Stays Cost With Medicare?
Before Medicare Part A will pay its share of a hospital stay, you must first meet your Medicare Part A deductible — $1,556 per benefit period (in 2022).
For lengthy hospitalizations, you may have to pay coinsurance based on the length of your stay (all costs listed are for 2022):
Days 1-60: $0 coinsurance
Days 61-90: $389 coinsurance per day
Days 91 and beyond: $778 coinsurance per each "lifetime reserve day." You have 60 lifetime reserve days.
Beyond lifetime reserve days: All costs.
A Medigap Plan Can Help Pay for Your Hospital Stay or Hospital Bed
Medicare Supplement Insurance plan (Medigap) helps pay for out-of-pocket costs associated with a hospital stay.
All Medigap plans offer coverage for the following hospital benefits:
Medicare Part A coinsurance and hospital costs
First three pints of blood if needed for a transfusion
Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
Some Medigap plans may also include coverage for:
Coinsurance for skilled nursing facility stay
Medicare Part A deductible
With 10 standardized Medigap plans to choose from in most states, you can find one that meets your needs. Call today to speak with a licensed insurance agent who can help you compare Medigap plans that are available where you live.
Important: Plan F and Plan C are not available to beneficiaries who became eligible for Medicare on or after January 1, 2020.
Medicare Supplement Insurance can help cover your out-of-pocket hospital bed costs.Find a plan Or call to speak with a licensed insurance agent.