Compare plans today.


Does Medicare Cover Hernia Surgery?

Medicare Part B typically covers 80% of the cost of hernia surgery. A Medigap policy may help cover some or all of the rest.

Christian Worstell

by Christian Worstell | Published October 27, 2023 | Reviewed by John Krahnert

Yes, Medicare helps cover the cost of hernia surgery in most cases. Medicare Part B generally covers 80 percent of the cost of outpatient medical services, like hernia surgery, after you meet your deductible.

This cost of hernia surgery may include a physician fee, facility services, anesthesia and prescription drugs for post-surgery pain relief.

A Medigap policy can help pay for your coinsurance costs, and some even cover your Part B deductible.

Doctors consulting in hallway

How Much Does Medicare Cover for Surgery?

Hernia repair is typically performed on an outpatient basis. As long as it’s deemed medically necessary, Medicare Part B should help pay for the hernia surgery cost.

  • After you meet your deductible ($240 in 2024), Part B operates on an 80/20 coinsurance. Medicare pays 80 percent of the cost, you pay the remaining 20 percent.

  • Let’s assume your inguinal hernia repair costs $5,000. After you meet your $240 deductible, Medicare Part B would pay $4,000 for your surgery and you would be responsible for $1,000 ($1,240 total with the deductible).

  • In addition to a physician fee and facility services, the total cost of hernia surgery may include the price of anesthesia and drugs for post-surgery pain relief.

If your surgery requires a hospital stay, keep in mind that Medicare Part A’s coverage and cost-sharing would factor into your out-of-pocket costs.

Medicare Part A carries a deductible of $1,632 per benefit period in 2024, and long hospital stays — though unlikely for a hernia repair — can be expensive. You would still be responsible for any Part B cost-sharing that is incurred.

How Much Does Hernia Surgery Cost with Medicare Supplement Insurance?

A Medicare Supplement Insurance policy, also known as Medigap, will pay for certain expenses that Medicare leaves behind. There are 10 standardized Medigap policies, and each offers a different combination of basic benefits.

All Medigap plans cover your Part A and Part B coinsurance to a certain degree. And more comprehensive plans even help pay for your Part A and Part B deductibles.

This could substantially lower the out-of-pocket costs associated with your hernia surgery.

Before undergoing hernia repair, talk to your health care provider about the services and supplies that your hernia surgery will entail.

Ask why these services and supplies are required and how much each one will cost, then contact your insurance provider to see which ones are covered by your program. 

Find a Medigap Plan to Help Cover Your Hernia Surgery Costs

Call today to speak with a licensed insurance agent who can help you find Medigap plans available in your area. An agent can help you find a plan that fits your health coverage needs and your budget.


Find Medigap plans in your area.

Find a plan
Or call 1-800-995-4219 to speak with a licensed insurance agent.

Resource Center

Medicare Preventive Benefits

As a Medicare beneficiary, you may be eligible for a range of preventive health services. Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) provides coverage for the following. Read more
Email newsletter

Get a Free Medicare Guide!

Enter your email address and get a free guide to Medicare and Medicare Supplement Insurance, as well as important Medicare news and tips. We promise to never send you spam – just helpful content!

By clicking "Get your guide" you are agreeing to receive emails from

We've been helping people find their perfect Medicare plan for over 11 years.

Ready to find your plan?

Or chat about my options with an agent