Home > Coverage > Does Medicare Cover Mental Health?
Coverage

Does Medicare Cover Mental Health?

Christian Worstell by Christian Worstell    |    Published Oct 03, 2019    |    Reviewed by John Krahnert

Original Medicare helps cover some inpatient and outpatient mental health services. Find out what each part of Medicare helps cover, the rules and rights you have as a recipient, and what you may pay out of pocket for care.

Understanding Your Medicare Benefits

Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) covers mental health services that you receive as an inpatient at a general hospital or psychiatric hospital. However, certain limits and rules for coverage apply.

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers outpatient mental health services that are provided at a therapist’s office, clinic or doctor’s office. As long as your mental health care provider accepts assignment, Part B will likely cover:

  • One depression screening per year
  • Psychotherapy
  • Family counseling
  • Psychiatric evaluation
  • Medication management
  • Diagnostic tests
  • Partial hospitalization
  • A one-time preventive visit
  • A yearly “Wellness” visit

Out-of-Pocket Costs

If you are admitted to the hospital for mental health services, you can expect to meet your Medicare Part A deductible ($1,364 per benefit period in 2019). You may also pay hospital coinsurance if you experience a lengthy stay (more than 60 days). Your Part B deductible and coinsurance (see below) may apply for care received from your provider(s).

If your mental health care provider participates in Medicare and accepts assignment, Medicare Part B will generally cover 80 percent of the Medicare-approved amount of medical services received in an outpatient setting, and you’ll pay the remaining 20 percent (after your 2019 $185 annual Part B deductible is met).

NOTE: If you receive mental health services in a hospital outpatient clinic or department, you may have to pay an additional copayment of coinsurance amount to the hospital. Speak with your health care provider for specific details regarding what you’ll likely pay out of pocket for coverage.

Medicare Supplement Insurance

If you’re worried about the cost of your Medicare out-of-pocket expenses, consider a Medicare Supplement Insurance plan. Also known as Medigap, these private insurance policies help pay for some of the out-of-pocket costs left by Medicare, including deductibles, coinsurance and copayments. Speak with a licensed agent at --ms-tfn-- for your free Medigap quote.

Learn More

For more information about Medicare or Medigap, read through some of our helpful guides below.

 

Resource Center

Best Payment Options | Does Medicare Cover Chiropractic Service?

Medicare does help pay for the costs of certain chiropractic services that help to correct issues with the spine.

Read More

How Medigap Helps Pay for Hernia Surgery

Medicare Part B typically covers 80% of the cost of outpatient services like hernia surgery. A Medigap policy may help cover some or all of the rest.

Read More

Is Insulin Covered by Medicare?

Generally, Medicare Part B covers some of the services and supplies needed to manage diabetes. But what about insulin?

Read More

What Medicare Does and Does Not Cover for Hospital Stays

Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospital stays, as well as skilled nursing facility care, hospice care, and some home health care.

Read More

Supplement Your Medicare Benefits With Medigap Insurance

If you're enrolled in Medicare and don't have a Medicare Supplement Insurance plan, you could be paying too much out-of-pocket. Learn more!

Read More

Does Medicare Cover Knee Replacements?

Medicare Part A covers many inpatient hospital services, including procedures like a knee replacement. Find out more in this article.

Read More

Medicare Enrollees: Medigap Plans Could Save You Money

If you're enrolled in Original Medicare (Medicare Parts A and B), a Medigap plan can help cover some of your out-of-pocket health care costs.

Read More

What You Should Know About Medicare Costs

Original Medicare offers a range of health care services that come with some costs. Learn more about Medicare costs in 2018.

Read More

Health Insurance Resources for Seniors

Millions of seniors in the United States rely on Medicare for health insurance. Learn more about the program here.

Read More

Every 13 minutes, we help someone enroll in a plan.

Sign up for more information!

Enter your email address and get a free guide to Medicare and Medicare Supplement Insurance.

Sign Up Now