We've been helping people find their perfect Medicare plan for over 10 years.

Does Medicare Cover CPAP Machines?

Yes, Medicare Part B helps cover the cost to rent a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine. In order to qualify for Medicare CPAP machine coverage, you must be diagnosed by a doctor with obstructive sleep apnea. Medicare Part B may cover the cost of a sleep apnea test if you are displaying the signs and symptoms of the disorder and your doctor orders a test to be administered.

You also must be enrolled in Part B of Medicare in order to have the use of the CPAP machine covered. Part B is optional and comes with a standard monthly premium and Medicare enrollment requirements.

Couple hugging and laughing

Medicare Part B and Sleep Apnea

After satisfying your Part B deductible (which is $185 per year in 2019), you will typically pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for the rental of a CPAP machine as well as the purchase of any related accessories such as a mask, filters, humidifiers, straps and tubing.

Medicare will cover the first three months initially, and then your doctor will reevaluate your condition. If your doctor determines the CPAP therapy is helping, Medicare may then cover the use of the CPAP machine for up to 13 months. Once you’ve been renting the machine for 13 months, you then take over ownership of it. CostHelper reports that CPAP machines can be rented for around $250 per month, though prices will vary.

Patients suffering from sleep apnea can benefit from a Medicare Supplement Insurance plan. There are 10 such plans that offer either partial or full coverage of the 20% Medicare Part B coinsurance requirement. Two Medigap plans also offer full coverage for the Part B deductible.

Explore more about what Medicare covers for people with sleep apnea, or call call --ms-tfn--  to learn more about Medicare Supplement Insurance.

I want to compare Medicare Supplement Plans.

Start Online
Or chat about my options with an agent:--ms-tfn--

Resource Center

The Cost of Hernia Surgery: What Medicare Doesn't Cover

Medicare Part B may cover 80% of the cost of your outpatient hernia surgery. A Medigap policy can help you cover the other 20%.

Read More

Does Medicare Cover Orthotics?

Some orthotics are covered by Medicare Part B. Learn about the eligibility requirements and the costs involved.

Read More

Will Medicare Pay for My MRI?

Medicare may cover MRI costs needed by your doctor for a diagnosis.

Read More

Is Oral Surgery Covered By Medicare?

Original Medicare doesn't cover routine dental care, but it may help pay for oral surgery under certain circumstances.

Read More

Does Medicare Cover Prolia Prescriptions?

Medicare may help pay for Prolia, a popular drug that treats osteoporosis. Learn about the requirements and costs.

Read More

Medicare and Physical Therapy

Does Medicare cover physical therapy? Learn what Medicare will cover and what costs you may have to pay.

Read More

Does Medicare Help Pay for Drug or Alcohol Abuse Treatment?

Original Medicare may cover drug rehab if your doctor considers it medically necessary. Learn about the other qualifications now.

Read More

How Do Medicare and Medigap Cover Acupuncture

Does Medicare cover acupuncture? No. If you are a senior or are disabled and have Medicare, there are other forms of therapy that are covered.

Read More

Will Medicare Cover My Eyelid Surgery?

If you require eyelid surgery to address a troublesome health condition, Medicare may help cover the costs.

Read More