Purchasing Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) may be a good choice for you if you’re looking to cover some of your Medicare Part A and Part B out-of-pocket costs such as deductibles, copayments and coinsurance.
But with 10 Medicare Supplement Insurance plans available in most states, how do you decide which one is right for your needs?
The right Medicare Supplement Insurance plan can be defined in terms of cost or coverage, and each of the 10 plans offer a unique combination of benefits. So, the right plan for one person may be different than the right plan for somebody else.
Costs and Coverage
The cost of a Medigap plan is typically affected by the benefits the plan offers. Plans that offer fewer benefits usually cost less than plans offered by the same provider.
All 10 standardized Medigap plans provide at least partial coverage for:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance and hospital costs
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayment
- First three pints of blood
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
Beyond these four benefit areas, each Medigap plan offers a unique mix of benefits that may include one or more of the following:
- Coinsurance for skilled nursing facility
- Medicare Part A deductible
- Medicare Part B deductible
- Medicare Part B excess charges
- Foreign travel emergency costs
The only Medigap plan that offers at least partial coverage for all nine benefit areas is Medigap Plan F.
Refer to the chart below to see how each Medigap plan compares.
|Medicare Supplement Benefits||A||B||C||D||F1||G||K2||L3||M||N4|
|Part A co-insurance and hospital costs||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Part B co-insurance or co-payment||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||50%||75%||✓||✓|
|First 3 pints of blood||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||50%||75%||✓||✓|
|Part A hospice care co-insurance or co-payment||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||50%||75%||✓||✓|
|Co-insurance for skilled nursing facility||✓||✓||✓||✓||50%||75%||✓||✓|
|Medicare Part A deductible||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||50%||75%||50%||✓|
|MedicarePart B deductible||✓||✓||✓|
|Medicare Part B excess charges||✓||✓||✓|
|Foreign travel emergency||80%||80%||80%||80%||80%||80%|
|1. Plan F offers a high-deductible plan. This plan requires you to pay a $2,300 deductible in 2019 before it covers anything.
2. Plan K has an out-of-pocket yearly limit of $5,560 in 2019. After you pay the out-of-pocket yearly limit and yearly Part B deductible, it pays 100% of covered services for the rest of the calendar year.
3. Plan L has an out-of-pocket yearly limit of $2,780 in 2019. After you pay the out-of-pocket yearly limit and yearly Part B deductible, it pays 100% of covered services
for the rest of the calendar year.
4. Plan N pays 100% of the Part B coinsurance, except for a copayment of up to $20 for some office visits and up to a $50 copayment for emergency room visits that don’t result in an inpatient admission.
Get Help Choosing the Right Plan
Ultimately, it’s up to each individual to decide whether they would prefer paying higher premiums but fewer out-of-pocket costs or enjoy smaller premiums while potentially taking on more out-of-pocket costs.
Contacting a licensed insurance agent is a great way to get help finding the right Medigap plan for you. An agent can provide you with the plans available in your area along with price quotes and answers to any questions you may have about each plan.
Speak with a licensed insurance agent now at 1-866-359-2759.