IL Medigap enrollment quick facts:
- 782,354 Illinois state residents had a Medigap policy, according to data from America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP).1
- Plan F is the most popular Medigap option in Illinois, with 402,300 enrollees, according to AHIP.
Medicare Supplement insurance (also called Medigap) helps senior and disabled Illinois residents pay for certain Medicare co-payments, deductibles, and other costs. Insurance companies can offer state residents one of the 10 standardized Medigap plan options: Plans A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, and N.
Important: Plan F and Plan C are not available to Medicare beneficiaries who become eligible for Medicare on or after January 1, 2020.
What are the most popular Medicare Supplement plans in Illinois?
The chart below shows the most popular Medicare Supplement plans in Illinois.1
Medicare Supplement Insurance pricing methods
Medigap pricing methods are significant because they dictate how your premiums may increase in upcoming years. There are three different pricing methods:
- Attained-age rated: The premium increases as you age.
- Issue-age rated: The premium is based on your age when you buy and it may increase due to inflation and other factors, but not due to your age.
- Community rated: The same premium is charged to all Medigap policyholders.
Under-65 Enrollment Rules
Although Medicare Supplement Insurance is primarily for senior citizens, it’s also available to disabled people and those with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) in some states. Each state’s insurance department dictates the rules governing Medicare beneficiaries under the age of 65.
Insurance companies selling Medigap plans in Illinois must offer at least one Medigap plan to under-65 Medicare beneficiaries. The rates charged to an under-65 beneficiary are capped at the amount of the highest premium for a 65-or-over beneficiary.
Compare Illinois Medigap plansFind a plan
Or call now to speak with a licensed insurance agent: