The Medicare Open Enrollment Period starts in . Find out if you are eligible to switch your Medicare plan early by calling 1-800-995-4219.*
Only remain in the Medicare Open Enrollment Period. You can switch your Medicare plan today by calling 1-800-995-4219.*
We've been helping people find their perfect Medicare plan for over 10 years.

Medicare Part B

4 things to know about Medicare Part B:

  1. Medicare Part B is the optional part of Original Medicare (Part A and Part B).
  2. Medicare Part B is sometimes referred to as medical insurance.
  3. Medicare Part B provides health insurance coverage for medically necessary services and preventative services.
  4. You have to pay a monthly premium for Medicare Part B. The standard monthly premium in 2017 is $134 but can be higher based on your income.

Medicare Part B (which — combined with Part A — makes up Original Medicare), provides health insurance coverage for medical services. It covers physician care and outpatient medical services, among other things.

Medicare Part B is optional. If you’re automatically enrolled, you can opt out of it. When you receive your Medicare card in the mail, just follow the instructions that come attached and send the card back. If you don’t follow these instructions, you will get Part B and must pay the premiums.

What does Medicare Part B cover?

Part B is considered medical insurance and covers services from screening tests to cancer services. Here’s an overview of Part B benefits:

  • Initial physical exam
  • Yearly wellness exam
  • Doctor services
  • Nursing care
  • Ambulance services
  • Chemotherapy
  • Diagnostic tests and screenings
  • Certain pap smear and mammography screenings
  • Pneumonia and flu vaccinations
  • Durable medical equipment

The medical care services listed above are only part of all of the health insurance benefits offered by Medicare Part B.

Medicare Part B premiums and other costs

Your Part B costs will come in the forms of premiums, deductibles, co-payments, and co-insurance.

Premiums

Medicare Part B comes with a monthly premium. For most people, this is about $134 a month in 2017. If you are in a higher income bracket, though, you may pay up to $428.60 a month in 2017. You usually only have to pay a higher premium if your yearly income is over $85,000 individually or $170,000 as a couple.

Deductibles, co-payments, and co-insurance

Medicare Part B comes with a $183 annual deductible in 2017. Part B won’t pay for anything until you pay that amount each year that you use the coverage.

After you pay the deductible, you still pay for a portion of the services covered by Part B. This is usually 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for the service. Part B covers the other 80%.

If you don’t want to pay for deductibles or co-insurance, Medicare Supplement insurance (also called Medigap) can help. Medigap plans can help you fill in the coverage gaps. Two of the Medicare Supplement insurance plan options — Plan C and Plan F — will pay for your Medicare Part B deductible.

Resource Center

Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) Explained

Medicare Supplement insurance (Medigap) can help cover copays, coinsurance and deductibles that Original Medicare does not. Here's what you need to know.

Read More

Compare Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan Options

Medicare Supplement Insurance can help cover some of the health care costs that come with Original Medicare. Compare plan benefits today.

Read More

Does Medicare Cover Humira?

Humira and other prescription drugs are not covered by Medicare Parts A and B. Consider a Medicare Part D plan.

Read More

Find a Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan

Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) can help pay for some of Medicare's out-of-pocket costs, including deductibles, copayments and coinsurance.

Read More

Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan Comparison Guide

A Medicare Supplement Insurance plan, also called Medigap, can help cover some of the costs Original Medicare doesn't, such as copays and deductibles.

Read More

Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G: Basic Benefits

Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G is designed to help pay some of the out-of-pocket costs of Original Medicare.

Read More

Medigap Insurance for Medicare

Medicare supplement insurance, known as Medigap, helps reduce some of the out-of-pocket costs of Original Medicare.

Read More

Comparing Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans in 2017

Compare Medigap plan benefits to find the right Medicare Supplement Insurance plan option for you in 2017. Get free policy quotes today.

Read More

Understanding Medigap Benefits | Medicare Supplement Insurance

Are you paying too much for health care? If you are enrolled in Original Medicare, a Medigap policy could help cover your deductibles and other costs.

Read More