Home > Comparing plans > What is Medicare SELECT?
Comparing plans

What is Medicare SELECT?

Christian Worstell by Christian Worstell    |    Published Oct 03, 2019    |    Reviewed by John Krahnert

Medicare SELECT is a form of Medicare Supplement insurance that requires you to use specific medical facilities and doctors that are within the plan’s network.

Medicare SELECT v.s. Medigap

Unlike regular Medigap plans that provide coverage for approved services performed anywhere that accepts Medicare, Medicare SELECT policies are more restrictive.

Your insurance provider pre-determines a network of hospitals, medical offices, and medical providers. You must get treatment from those approved facilities, or your Medicare SELECT policy won’t help pay for your treatment.

Medicare SELECT policy versions are offered for any one of the 10 standardized Medigap plans available in most states. Other than the restrictions placed on which medical facilities you may use, Medicare SELECT policies must meet all other regulations required by the standardized Medigap plans.

Medicare SELECT policies generally cost less than other standardized Medigap policies.1

Medicare SELECT policies were introduced in 1990, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF). About 900,000 people had Medicare SELECT plans in 2010. Medicare SELECT plans are not as popular as traditional Medicare Supplement insurance plans. Nearly 1 in 10 Medigap policies were Medicare SELECT plans in 2010, according to the KFF report.

Network restrictions with Medicare SELECT

You must go to an in-network provider to be eligible for full Medicare SELECT insurance features and benefits. If you use a provider or facility outside of the network, you might be liable for all of the costs that would otherwise be covered by your Medicare SELECT policies. However, the network restrictions do not apply to emergency services.

For example, Medicare Part B pays 80% of the cost of approved services. If you have a Medicare SELECT policy and use an approved provider, the insurance company will help pay for the remaining 20%. But if you use a non-approved provider for non-emergency care, you could be liable for the remaining 20%. Medicare will pay for its share of the approved service regardless of whether the Medicare SELECT insurance provider covers it or not.

Check with your medical provider and facility before receiving any medical service to help prevent non-covered out-of-pocket charges.

Medicare SELECT Policy availability

Plan availability varies based on location and insurance providers. If an insurance company decides to offer a Medicare SELECT plan, they do not have to offer one for each plan type. For example, a Medigap insurance company might offer only Medicare SELECT Plan F and N, despite offering all 10 regular Medigap plans.


1 https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/staticpages/learn/how-insurance-companies-price-policies.aspx#;return%20false;

Resource Center

Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan Options 2020

See how the 10 Medigap plans differ. Review our chart for a detailed comparison of Medicare Supplement insurance benefits.

Read More

Top-Rated Medicare Supplement Plans

Compare popular Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans like Plan F, Plan G and Plan C to find out which top Medigap plan is right for you.

Read More

Which Medigap Plans Are Most Popular?

Medigap Plans F and G are the most popular Medicare Supplement plans in 2020. Learn more and compare your Medigap plan options.

Read More

Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan D

Learn about Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Plan D coverage, costs and benefits. Compare Medigap Plan D options available where you live.

Read More

Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan F

Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) Plan F offers the most basic benefits of any Medigap plan. Learn more and find out if it could work for you.

Read More

Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G

Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G is a recently updated, benefits-rich Medigap plan. Learn more about benefits, availability, and enrollment.

Read More

The Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart: Compare Medigap Benefits Side by Side

Use this Medicare Supplement Insurance plans comparison chart to view Medigap plans side by side. Explore benefits and costs and find plans that may be available where you live.

Read More

Choosing Between Medigap Plan F and Plan G

Medigap Plan F offers the most comprehensive coverage of any Medigap plan, but Plan G offers almost as many benefits. Learn more.

Read More

Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan F vs. Plan N | How to Choose

Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) Plan N is similar to Plan F, except Plan N doesn't cover the Medicare Part B deductible or excess charges.

Read More

Every 13 minutes, we help someone enroll in a plan.

Sign up for more information!

Enter your email address and get a free guide to Medicare and Medicare Supplement Insurance.

Sign Up Now