Coverage

Does Medicare Cover Hearing Tests?

Christian Worstell

by Christian Worstell | Published April 30, 2020 | Reviewed by John Krahnert

Medicare Part B covers diagnostic hearing and balance exams if the exam is considered medically necessary by a doctor. However, Medicare does not cover routine hearing exams, hearing aids or hearing aid fittings. 

If Medicare covers your hearing test, you'll typically have to pay out-of-pocket costs such as deductibles, coinsurance or copays.

A Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan can help pay for your hearing test costs if your hearing test is covered by Medicare.

Doctor examines her patient's earMedicare doesn't cover routine hearing tests but may cover ear exams in some situations.

When Does Medicare Cover Hearing and Balance Tests?

Hearing and balance tests are sometimes used to diagnose certain medical conditions and determine whether or not you require medical treatment.

Medicare Part B does pay for diagnostic hearing exams for individuals who are:

  • Enrolled in Medicare Part B

  • Prescribed a diagnostic hearing test by a doctor who accepts Medicare assignment

How Much Do Hearing Tests Cost With Medicare?

There are a few factors that can affect your Medicare costs for covered hearing exams:

  • If you go to the doctor for a routine hearing exam (which Medicare doesn't coveR), you are responsible for 100 percent of the costs.

  • If you go to the doctor to get a hearing aid or for hearing aid maintenance, you are responsible for 100 percent of the costs.

  • If your diagnostic hearing and balance exam is approved for coverage under Medicare Part B, you are responsible for 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for your hearing test. Medicare pays the remaining 80%.

Before Medicare will pay its share of an approved hearing and balance test, you must first meet your Medicare Part B deductible. The Medicare Part B deductible in 2019 is $185 per year

Your doctor can provide more detailed information about how much your hearing test will cost out of pocket. Specific health care costs may depend on:

  • The type of facility you go to for your hearing exam

  • Your location

  • Other insurance you may have

  • How much your doctor charges for the service

Medicare Supplement Plans Help Pay for Out-of-Pocket Medicare Costs

Medicare Supplement Insurance (also known as Medigap) can help cover your hearing test Medicare costs if it's covered by Medicare Part B.

There are 10 standardized Medigap plans available in most states, and each plan provides full or partial coverage for Medicare Part B coinsurance costs you might face if Medicare covers your hearing exam.

A licensed agent can help you decide on a Medicare option that works for you. Call today to speak with a licensed agent and compare the Medigap plans that are available where you live.

 

Find Medicare plans in your area.

Compare Plans
Or call 1-800-995-4219 to speak with a licensed insurance agent.

 

Christian Worstell is a health care and policy writer for MedicareSupplement.com. He has written hundreds of articles helping people better understand their Medicare coverage options.

Resource Center

Medicare Preventive Benefits

As a Medicare beneficiary, you may be eligible for a range of preventive health services. Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) provides coverage for the following. Read more

Does Medicare Cover Mental Health?

Medicare covers qualified outpatient and inpatient mental health care services. Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans can help cover your out-of-pocket mental health costs. Read more
Email newsletter

Sign up for more information!

Enter your email address and get a free guide to Medicare and Medicare Supplement Insurance.

By clicking "Sign up now" you are agreeing to receive emails from MedicareSupplement.com.

We've been helping people find their perfect Medicare plan for over 10 years.

Ready to find your plan?

Or chat about my options with an agent

1-800-995-4219